Sunday, April 8, 2018

Peer Critiques

Can you believe it's Sunday already!? 

Welcome back guys, today's post will cover some crucial information so pay attention!!

This weekend (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday), I drove up to Orlando, Florida, to visit the college I will be attending in the fall of 2018, and resolve some issues regarding my admission. Because of this trip, I was not able to go to my AICE Media Studies class and missed out on some very important things. 

During class, our teacher sperated the students into groups, allowing them to showcase their progress on their portfolio projects and ask for crtique/advice on portions of their projects. Luckily, Isabella was in class and was able to show one of our trailers to her designated group and asked them for advice on our project. We got some amazing feedback! Isabella updated me right after class and mentioned to me that the peer critiques were really helpful and that every single one of her groupmates inputed valuable advice and tips. With their permision, she recorded the whole critique so she could send it to me, so I could hear exactly what my peers had to say! Because of privacy reason, I am not going to upload the exact audio of the critique, but will talk about some of the tips they mentioned!

One student believed that our trailer was a little too slow for a trailer, which Isabella and I strongly agreed with. After mentioning this, the student advised us to cut the clips more often, and creat jump cuts in our scenes in order to fasten the pace of our trailer. 

Another student mentioned that our static clips seemed awkward and off because they were clips of bars and tones and not static. He explained to Isabella that bars and tones were often used in Televison during a technical error while static screens, like the one below, were mostly used during damaged film.


When we first inserted the bars and tones static screens into our trailer last week, I had mentioned to Isa that those were mainly used in televion as opposed to film. However, she decided it was best to keep the bars and tones, so I let it go and move on with the project. After the peer critique, however, Isabella realized that other people agreed with me and that it was best to use the black and white static screens. So, we created new static screens and inserted them into our trailers.

This critique was so helpful to Isabella and I, and even though I was not there, I am so glad my classmates were able to have that experience and chance to gain feedback/advice on their works. Thank god for peer reviews!

-AC 

No comments:

Post a Comment